Pages

August 23, 2011

Copán Ruinas


Today was my second day of Spanish classes at the Spanish school Guacamaya in Copán Ruinas, Honduras. I´m here for 2 weeks and then I eventually end up in Tegucigalpa for the MCC Honduras team meeting. Copán is a small touristy town that is very safe, in the mountains and next to some famous Mayan ruins. In the summer of 2005, my family and I were here in Copán for four weeks at this same school to learn Spanish. It is really cool to be back and be somewhere familiar, I believe it´s a feeling not many SALTers experience.

Keila and I were dropped off at the bus station Sunday (8-21-11) afternoon, bought our tickets and found the correct bus ourselves. It´s a small accomplishment in the grand scheme but it felt good to be able to do that. I slept for a good chunk of the 3 hour bus ride from San Pedro to Copán. I was starting to feel ill but with sleep and lots of fluids I´ve seemed to get over it before it got bad. Enrique picked us up from the bus stop and took us to our host families. Keila is staying in the house where my family and I stayed when we were here. I´m staying with a host family a few houses down the road. The family is very nice and welcoming and patient with my attempt At Spanish. Also Sara (the mother) is an excellent cook.

The Spanish classes have been one-on-one for 6 hours a day, 4 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. After class my brain is fried and I have to go for a walk or something before even thinking about attempting my homework. I haven´t done any of the touristy things like visit the ruins. I hope to find some locals to play soccer with. My teacher knows I like to play soccer and might help me connect with some guys. That would be awesome.