Pages

July 9, 2012

Moving Home


The stories keep coming. This past weekend my host parents went to the town of San Jose Comayagua to pick up my eldest host sister, who has been living out there for the past year or so. She had been calling everyday for the last month, asking when they were coming to bring here back home to San Pedro. This weekend was supposed to be when they were to get her. But as usual, in Honduras, nothing seems to go as planned. The plan was to leave on Saturday at 2 pm, but my host dad got back from work around 4 pm. The plan was to drive the truck to be able to bring back her stuff, but the truck was getting repaired.

So my host parents took off around 5 in the afternoon, traveling by public transportation, to San Jose. I was confused why they went because they couldn't bring a house full of stuff back on public transportation. Also my host sister could have just ridden public transportation back by herself. They had planned to be back by Sunday afternoon, but when they were still not back by evening I went to church by myself. I had just gotten home and changed out of my church clothes when I saw a giant truck backing up to the house. It stopped and out came the family, and it was full with the stuff from the San Jose house.

We spent the next hour and a half unloading and filling all the nooks, in and around the house, with boxes, bags, beds, tables, and suitcases. So we now have the task of figuring out how to fit two houses worth of stuff in one. I have a feeling the house will be a little cramped for a while. If there is a Spanish version of the show Hoarders, I think it would be funny to call them out to the house...

As of today, I have only 10 more days left in Honduras. Then after a re-entry retreat, in Akron with the rest of the SALTers who served around the world, home to Reedley. One thing that's been on my mind that I'll miss, is being packed in on the public bus, with blaring upbeat reggae music, and zooming through gaps in traffic (that probably didn't exist until we were in them). Dad, you probably shouldn't let me drive home from the airport.




Thanks for reading