Pages

February 24, 2012

Birthday

So yesterday was 23 years since I was born, or found in my crash landed space ship, or however it happened. It was a good and relaxing day.  I got lots of birthday wishes from both people back home and people around here. I was surprised how many people around here knew it was my birthday considering how few people I told.

My host family had a little celebration for me in the evening. They made a tres leches cake and from my experience with birthdays in my host family, I had a hunch that I'd end up wearing some of it. The tradition in my host family is that the cake you get for your birthday is yours. You have complete control over it including if, and how much you want to share. Therefore cutting the cake is a job only for the birthday person as they decide how greedy or generous to be. So after dinner my host mom pulled out the cake and they sang the first few lines of the birthday song in English. Only the lyrics were pronounced “Happy baby to you…” which put the biggest smile on my face. I then was instructed to cut the cake at which point the picture taking started going nuts. And before I knew it, I had cake smeared on my face as I had predicted.
It was a fun evening and delicious cake. For those of you who weren’t able to make it to Honduras to come celebrate I’ll post some pictures of the evening.

Thanks for reading