Pages

March 29, 2012

Father's Day Gift


I received my first Father’s Day gift this last week.

Before people infer too much I should make it clear that I’m NOT saying that I’m a father. “Dia de Padre” passed by about a week ago, I don’t know if it is the same day as in the States. (If it was, happy Father’s Day Dad) The week before the day, the ladies of the church made tacos as a fundraiser to fund a Father’s Day meal. So I was a little confused when the day came and passed without any acknowledgement, but then it wouldn’t be the first thing that I didn’t understand. A week later I came back from teaching and there is a bunch of food in the kitchen. The celebration had been postponed and was tonight apparently. I went to my room to read or something and soon I was told that diner was ready. I ate by my self since only my host mom was home and she seemed busy. She told me about how busy she had been getting ready for the celebration.

Judging by the fact that I was just fed, I assumed that the meal was a Fathers only party but I asked to be sure. When she confirmed that it was, I stopped worrying about changing out of my falling apart athletic shorts that are not presentable. I offered to help carry the food over to the church since the party was supposed to have started by now. I was assigned the 5 gal juice container and I make it all of 3 steps out the gate before another youth helps me despite my protest. He took the container from me and since I now was carrying nothing, I turned to go back to the house as the gate is being locked by my host mom. “Vámonos Miguel” she insists making a head nod that says I’m to come along. So I find myself at a Fathers only party.

Since we were only 30 min late, we arrived before most. It wasn’t awkward at first when people were gathering since people either know me or are interested to talk to me, but I felt underdressed. Then the celebration officially started with some of the women, who put it together, saying some kind words. Then they passed out some gifts that they had gotten for the men. This is when I started to feel a little uncomfortable, hoping that they wouldn’t give me a gift to avoid hurting my feelings. They skipped over me while passing out the gifts and I breathed a sigh of relief. I decided to slip out to avoid more of what I just went through. But as I stood up to leave, wishing the Fathers a good time, I was told to sit down by Jose (friend who lives next door). I said that I had things I could be doing and he just kept saying “No Miguel.” So I sat down, partly to avoid a scene but mainly because I now felt invited.

I passed on the giant plate of food, explaining that I just ate but still got funny looks. They made sure that I took a piece of cake though. I thought the party was kind of interesting because it mainly consisted of being served a meal. And I thought it was funny that this is probably how meals are the rest of the 364 days of the year. It is rare to see men in the kitchen. As the party was winding down the pastor disappeared and then returned with an MCC humanitarian aid box. From inside he pulled newspaper-wrapped objects and set them in front of the guys, and I got that uncomfortable feeling again. As he passed he set one in front of me. I have been lectured by a Honduran about the rudeness of not accepting things, and the context of that talk was denying a bag of chips. So I didn’t make any attempt to try to explain that I’m not a father. I made sure to thank him, and now I have a sweet coffee mug to remember the whole experience.


Thanks for reading